Here are the specs on my Purpleheart Custom Tele:
- I built the body from
- Chambered Honduran Mahogany body.
- Purpleheart top detailed with solid birdseye maple and solid ebony.
- String through body construction with gold hardware.
- Pair of early 70's Gibson Humbuckers.
- CTS 500K pots, and .015 Jensen copper foil/oil cap.
- Shielded control and pickup cavities.
- 1 volume. 1 tone (*modded/bypass*)
- 1 Switchcraft 3 way toggle.
- Recessed Electrosocket.
- Switchcraft military spec. input jack.
- Strat style maple neck – soft V shape. Rosewood board with MOP dot inlays. Bullet truss rod. Vintage style tuners with modern gear ratio.
- Schaller strap locks.
- Hand rubbed Tung Oil finish with hand rubbed beeswax top coats. I have it set up with Nickel Rockers 11-50.
This guitar has a horn-like midrange
honk with the tone rolled off in the neck position. The lead pickup is sweet and wet sounding, even with the modded tone pot in the bypass position, it is NOT harsh, but
clear and sweet. In the dual position, the pickups are smooth and balanced. Acoustically, the guitar resonates beautifully from the neck through the body.
I was going for a Gibson Les Paul rich tone, with a Fender style neck and playability...also I like simplicity with the single volume and tone controls.
You can hear a sound sample I wrote with Dave Paetow.
Although this test-track isn't the best to hear the guitar, you can hear the purpleheart in the rhythm track....Dave P wails on his McInturff Empress!
My online photo album has a lot more pictures of the
Purpleheart Custom Tele being built.